Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • L2C
    Keymaster
    #405 |

Share a few thoughts about the first steps in creating your nonprofit organization and the idea behind it.

MOTB-HQ
    Participant
    #551 |

I had been working with another organization when their chapter closed. I needed something ore substantial so after a lot of research, I started March of the Blanketeers. It’s been a struggle though. Between fundraising and finding hospitals to donate to, running a nonprofit isn’t easy.

Anonymous
    #571 |

In 2013 a discussion surrounded the number of non-profits there are in existence. Logically any issue of concern could be found that a non-profit is designed to address. What continued to come up was middle and high school youth. Their primary concern is where do I fit in. This is when self-worth is found. Do we as adults listen and take them seriously? Logically the answer is yes. But unfortunately, most adults are too busy in every day survival mode that they don’t take time to listen until something goes wrong. Out of this discussion we designed Family Patterns Matter. Why? patterns begin when a child is conceived. Throughout the child’s life the role models are the adults in their life. We designed our non-profit to have a core that is a youth advisory board. Our purpose is defining generational patterns in families to allow for positive results in the next generation to thrive. The youth advisory board is key to the success. They tell us, very frankly, what they see happening with their peers. Bullying, self-harm, school drop out, substance abuse are areas of concern. Where is the behavior learned? Identifying key members to be on the board of directors, filing for a non-profit status, registering with the state as a non-profit, were all important to begin.

TwinCities Tutoring
    Participant
    #572 |

In early 2011, I was tutoring primarily Somali youth, along with quite a few international students at local colleges and universities, and transplanted professionals from all corners of the globe: from Eastern and Central Europe, India and China, Kenya and the Sudan, Brazil and Mexico.

In late 2011, I transitioned to at-home tutoring for Somali families while still maintaining a writing assistance program for college students and professionals. Demand for K-12 tutoring in the sizable Somali community here grew exponentially as families told their friends and relatives about the service. At times the number of requests was simply overwhelming. Over the past 4 years, I have tutored roughly 600 Somali youth alone.

Our nonprofit–an all volunteer organization–now tutors in community rooms in HUD apartment complexes where the largest numbers of our lower-income families live. I still go to homes–sitting down one on one with struggling kids is essential–but community room tutoring ensures that our young company is helping the greatest number possible.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.